Monday, May 25, 2015

No Two Are Exactly Alike

The human body comes in a variation of five different body types/shapes.

 
However, like finger prints or signatures, no two are exactly alike.  The types/shapes have been given many names… apple, round, diamond or banana, ruler, rectangle. I personally don’t compare a body shape to fruit however, now that I think about it… a human body is just like fruit. While an apple is an apple, no two apples are the same size or shape. So with that analogy, yes… the body is like fruit. However, I’m more inclined to compare body types/shapes to geometric shapes… it is more mathematical/scientific and that is what dressing a body type/shape is about. Finding the balance in the human body shape to minimize and maximize the negatives and positives and creating a pleasing balance to a figure regardless of weight, height, or age.
 
I will post within the next week or so the different types/shapes but for this post I’m going to start with the "rectangle" because that is the shape that I work with on a daily basis… because, it is mine!
 
For the sake of…. Science I have stripped down to just a silk thermals bottom, a tank top and socks. Now please go easy on me… I am a human being with feelings and my body isn’t perfect. You will notice in some of the photos that my mild Scoliosis shows. It is just something that is part of my equation.
 
I’m considered a “rectangle” because my shoulders and hips measure the same and there is only a minimal, less than 8” difference between my bust and waist. I also have the typically small chest of the rectangle body.
 

 
 My Stats:
 
      Height: 5’ 6”
  •       Weight: 134
  •  
Measurements are:
       Shoulders: 40”
       Chest: 36”
       Waist: 30”
       Hips: 40”
 
However, I am not just a “rectangle” because with my lower hip and rear area I have a tendency toward being a “triangle”.  You will also notice that I’m short waisted. Meaning that my natural waist starts and ends closer to my bust area than my hip area.
 
My observation is that those cursed with a short waist are usually blessed with long legs. And, I do follow that trait.
 
 

 Waistband is at my natural waistline.
 

 Waistband has been rolled down to sit just above my hips.
 
The above outfits are the same. However, in the first three photos the pants are at the natural waist line; amplifying my short waist and making my legs look extremely long. The bottom three photos I have rolled down the waist line to fit closer to my hips. Thus, making my upper and lower proportion more pleasing. You will notice that rolling the waistband has also caused considerable bulk. That is a lot of rolling going on.  Also notice that just rolling the sleeve up in both examples has helped toward balancing the look.
 
Below, in the second photo I untucked the blouse to extend the upper length… which is recommended. I personally don’t like this look because the hem of the blouse hits me at my widest point causing a triangle effect. The top needs to be at hip length as it is in the first photo below.
 

 
You may have noticed that all the prior photos I have on straight legged fleece pants. The third photo I added a pair of skinny jeans which actually make my legs appear longer.
 
A good rule of thumb is to follow an equation of thirds. The above photo; my outfit is basically divided into thirds. One third is the top and two thirds make up the bottom.
 
Now because the world doesn’t view us from just one angle I have included side and back views of the outfits.
 

 

 

 
It is also noticeable how some of the outfits actually emphases not only my body shape but also the flaws.
 
And, lastly because I don’t just stand around in weird positions all the time, and movement is what the body does best, I have also included some styled photos of the above outfit with accessories.
 

 
Thank you for stopping by and next time I will chat more about what does and doesn’t work for the “rectangle” shaped body.
 
Nan!

No comments:

Post a Comment